Museum Exhibits
Reaves Firearms
Bill Mauldin
Thunderbird Park
Hall of Flags
World War II
Korean Conflict
Commanders Hall
Infantry & Artillery
The Chapel
Supporting Forces
Liberation of Dachau
Home


Reaves Gallery SignThe Jordan B. and Ruby V. Reaves military weapons collection was assembled piece by piece over a period of 30 years. It is a representative collection of the basic infantry and cavalry weapons used by United States Armed Forces. The collection also includes several captured enemy weapons. All of the weapons in this collection were selected for their historic significance; representing American warfare from the Revolution through Vietnam.

While all the weapons of this collection convey the historical significance and development of military firearms, the Weapons of the Confederacy were Jordan Reaves' passion. He began collecting Confederate firearms in the 1950ís, and his enthusiasm never ceased.

Among the most important weapons in the collection is the Mosby Cannon. The Confederate cannon was used by the Forty-third Virginia Ranger Battalion led by Major John S. Mosby. The cannon was captured by the Union Army at Catlettís Station on May 30, 1863. Ownership of the cannon remained in the North until the 1950ís when it was transferred to an antique dealer in Dallas, Texas, who sold the cannon to Jordan Reaves in 1960.

Mosby CannonMore than 100 years after the battle, Reaves returned to Northern Virginia in an attempt to locate the exact spot where Mosby fought and lost his artillery piece. His travels led him to a narrow lane still locally known as Mosbyís Lane; it is believed this is the location where Mosby engaged with the Fifth New York Cavalry and lost his cannon to the Union Army. The Mosby Cannon is the most documented Confederate artillery piece in the War Between the States.